Will Blog for Experience: Emily

I'm a student blogger for Experience.com and if my blog gets the most readers out of these 5 blogs I will be going to Washington, D.C. for a job shadow at the Department of Energy, courtesy of CBCampus. Experience is a career site specifically for college students & alumni. They provide extraordinary job opportunities, real-world insights, and a network of inspirational role-models to help students explore and launch careers they love. Keep reading my blog if you want me to lead this challenge!

Experience, Inc.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hi

Well, if you are reading this you are probably a member of my family, a coerced friend, someone who received my mass facebook plea or someone associated with Experience. Regardless of who you are, you might be wondering why I, a virgin blogger, have decided to embark on this 21-day energy blog. Though I would be willing to bend over backwards and jump through flaming hoops for the opportunity to shadow an employee at the Department of Energy (DOE) for a day, I figured blogging was a much safer option.

For those not familiar with the Experience program, I’ll explain. Five candidates (including myself) are having a “blog-off” for three weeks. At the end of the three weeks, whoever has received the most hits to their blog will be given the chance to shadow an employee at the DOE for a day.

So why do I want this? I’m not a government major, nor do I have a solar-powered house, nor is my family fortune tied to an oil well in Texas. I’m a senior at Colby College in Maine and am majoring in Economics. I consider myself energy conscious yet I drive an SUV and am sometimes guilty of leaving the lights on when I leave the house. I do have a genuine interest in energy and in the way it affects the social, economical, political and geographical aspects of our everyday lives.

I became increasingly interested in the energy industry (specifically oil) last summer as an intern on Wall Street. My group focused on Natural Resource companies and after returning to campus I enrolled in a course which explores the global oil situation and the energy industry overall. A few energy conferences and an independent research paper lead me to this point…vying for the chance to see first-hand the day to day operations of the DOE.

Given my focus on economics and my future on Wall Street, my blogs will likely approach energy topics from a business perspective. I hope (but really BEG) you to continue reading my posts and send in your comments/questions. My tentative topics include:
1. The Peak Oil Debate
2. Climate Change
3. Renewable energy
4. “Green” advertising
5. The Government’s role regarding energy
6. Ways we can “reduce our daily impact”*

I appreciate your support thus far and look forward to the next three weeks!



*This slogan was borrowed from MTV’s “green” campaign.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:00 PM, Anonymous leslie said…

    Emily-
    If you don't get this opportunity to shadow a dept of energy nerd, I think you should consider a career as a writer. You are incredibly articulate and funny, (as you are in real life) and I'm so proud we're in the same gene pool. There's hope for me yet! You go girl. I'm logging in daily.
    xoxox Leslei

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wowzers i didn't know a web site about oil could be so interesting. I'm going to trade in my car for a bikecycle right away. Because bikecycles run on apples, and carrots and other foods that i eat and not oil.

     
  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emily,

    I enjoyed reading your blog!
    A friend of mine is starting a new long term renewable energy blog and you could easily be a guest writer if your interested. Your discussion of the Hubbert curve and related concepts was well written. For future analysis you might consider comparing the Hubbert curve to other finite resources, comparing the oil production curve to air pollution curves, global warming stats, energy costs of other sources (photovoltaics, wind, geothermal etc..) Then go to the next level of analysis and predict which markets/stocks will react to key points/intersections of your curves. Well, not your curves, those on your graph. :)
    Good luck
    Stefan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home